From:  Phillip Hallam-Baker <hal...@gmail.com>
Date:  Wednesday, June 5, 2013 1:26 PM
To:  Carl Wallace <c...@redhoundsoftware.com>
Cc:  Rob Stradling <rob.stradl...@comodo.com>, "wpkops@ietf.org"
<wpkops@ietf.org>, Adam Langley <a...@chromium.org>
Subject:  Re: [wpkops] Some questions about revocation reasons

> Probably better to just ask what CRLs they issue and for each whether the
> frequency of issue for full and deltas, and whether they use distribution
> points

I don't think so.  Part of the point could be to identify and stamp out some
of the unused corners.  Denying the existence of such things does not seem
helpful.  Documenting pervasive lack of support (which I thought was part of
this effort) may help.

> Indirect raises another issue. By definition an indirect CRL is not issued by
> the issuing CA. But that gets us into some complex semantic games. What does
> it mean if the GeoTrust CRL is signed by Thawte? Is that indirect or direct?
>
> What I am getting at here is that maybe the issues are going to be a little
> more complex than a binary choice. The term CA can get rather slippery. It is
> an organizational concept and PKIX only deals in certificates and trust
> anchors. From a processing standpoint it seems 'obvious' to me that there
> 'should' be a CRL associated with every certificate signing cert. But the spec
> was originally written from the assumption that a CA was identical to a trust
> anchor. So it gets rather murky, particularly as trust anchors were rolled
> over.
>
> Some points to ponder:
>
> * Could DigiNotar have issued a CRL that clients would have accepted as
> validating certs of other CAs?

Or if not a CRL, could DigiNotar have issued an OCSP responder certificate
that was authorized to provide responses for any CA?