That ASN.1 has been in X.509 since what 1997. I wouldn't change it even if somebody did ask because it's been in there for so long and it doesn't seemed to have cause any interoperability issues. I could see adding some text that explains it's incorrectly named but because it's been in there for so long that erring on the side of caution and not changing it seems the prudent thing to do.

spt

On 9/21/13 8:42 AM, Tony Rutkowski wrote:
does anyone have any druthers here for
Erik who is trying to update the old
X.509 spec?

--tony

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        [T17Q11] Attribute certificate path
Date:   Sat, 21 Sep 2013 14:10:20 +0200
From:   Erik Andersen <e...@x500.eu>
To:     <t13sg17...@lists.itu.int>

Hi Folks,

I noticed that 12.2 of X.509 talks about attribute certificate path.
However, the associated ASN.1 is a data type is called
AttributeCertificationPath. As we for public-key certificates talk about
certification path, it seems reasonable to use the term “attribute
certification path” rather that “attribute certificate path”.

I also noticed that the ASN.1 indicates that the path is bottom up
rather top down:

AttributeCertificationPath ::= SEQUENCE {

   attributeCertificate  AttributeCertificate,

   acPath                SEQUENCE OF ACPathData OPTIONAL,

   ... }

Please come back with comments.

Erik