Fra: Stephen Farrell [mailto:stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie]
Sendt: 23. september 2013 14:30
Til: t...@yaanatech.com
Cc: Erik Andersen; wpkops@ietf.org
Emne: Re: X.509 versions and proposed changes

On 09/23/2013 06:22 AM, Tony Rutkowski wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> It is helpful to have the complete
> current set of X.509 materials.
> These consist of the 2012 and
> 2006 versions, the defect report,
> and the current draft proposed
> changes to the 2012 version.
>
> --tony

The 2012 version doesn't have any mention of a "trust broker"
but one of the word documents appears to be adding that to x.509.

Two comments:-

1) that doesn't strike me as "editorial," even if there's no change to an
ASN.1 module.

2) I don't think adding that to x.509 without getting a lot more input from
people who develop PKI code is a good plan at all. I'm not aware that such
input has been sought or given. But I doubt it'll have any impact if that is
added other than to make it less likely folks will make use of the x.509
document.

So fwiw, count this as a "please don't, but I don't really care if you do"
comment from me. (And note "me" == Stephen, not "the IETF" - if some kind of
liaison about this is helpful to SG17, we can ask to see what the IETF think
about it.)

S.