Hi,

Actually, IMO "soft fail" does NOT include handing the question of whether to continue over to the user.

I believe "soft-fail" means that the client continues to load the document (what you call "fail open"), despite the detected problem condition(s), e.g. OCSP lookup failed. The client may or may not give a visual indication that there was a problem, and may or not treat the next connection to the server differently (e.g. Opera 12 will remove the padlock for the displayed document, and would not not reuse the affected SSL session, in case revocation checks failed).

What you mention as an example of "soft fail", displaying a warning message that the user have to decide how to handle, is actually the intermediate step between what is called "soft fail" and "hard fail", the detected problem is serious enough (e.g. server name mismatch, missing CA) that the client is unwilling to continue without permission from the user.

IOW, the four levels and actions are:

No detected problem: Continue, no indications to the user necessary
Low level problem: Continue, visual problem indications optional, aka "soft fail"
Serious problem: Stop connection, ask the user whether to continue
Critical problem: Close connection, don't allow the user to continue, aka "hard fail"