From:    Thomas savage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:09:01 -0700
To:    WRYTING-L@LISTSERV.UTORONTO.CA
Subject: Kato Nobukijo

In Front of Kato Nobukijo's Ten Rakans Examining a Painting of White-Robed Compassion*

When I die, I want to be composed of letters,
My own words, if possible,
In a language I understand.
Would you care to paint this portrait now
With trees composed of words behind me?
I might be surrounded by whatever friends
I have left at that time,
Each composed of their favorite words as well,
Mine or theirs, as someone chooses.
There might even be a picture of a picture within,
Perhaps alternating all the words I love.
This would be possible with a computer-produced image
Inside a handmade painting.

Tom Savage
3/30/00

*Kato Nobukijo (1734-1810) painted this picture in which all the images are composed of tiny Chinese letters from the Lotus Sutra, Chapter 4.  Rakans are a Buddha or a Bodhisattva's helpmates.