On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, mwp wrote:

I think it may be a peculiarly American thing to demand of art that it be entertaining. May be. I've never felt comfortable with the term myself, although I respect it when artists like Anderson and Fonda take it up. To me, Godard's Tout va bien (starring Fonda) neither heals nor entertains, but is great nonetheless.

Gads, I've seen it a number of times and always found it entertaining! It was a popular success I believe - and for good reason...

All theories are outmoded, or will be in time, so I'd say that it's futile to try and adopt a theory to outlast all theories. At best we can extend our lead a few pedals ahead of the pack, before the peleton of obsolescence eventually swallows us back up.

Not necessarily; some theories exhaust themselves - trignometry is one that's often mentioned. Theories can portend closure; it depends on the domain.

Yes, tech and sci are separate, but not in today's world, unfortunately. It's well nigh impossible, at least for me, to conceive of a philosophy of science without a technology following quickly in its wake. (Maybe Serres is the only one to do this?)

I'm not sure what you mean by 'philosophy of science' in this regard. Look at Penrose, Bohm, for example - both philosophical in terms of their quantum mechanics. Or even Feyerabend - there's no technology that I know of related to his paradigm shift.

What _is_ sometimes true is that new scientific discovery is often quickly exploited. But some discoveries aren't of course - it depends on their potential relation to the lifeworld (although that might be begging the question).

- Alan

As usual, I'm probably not giving these topics the level of pondering they deserve, so be gentle. . .!