One afternoon, I got up from my chair on the beach and started jogging. About a
hundred yards on, I began to feel
uncomfortable, and not just physically.
Why was I doing this? I was content in my chair, lulled by the sedative sea, my
mind ready to welcome whatever came or
to acquiesce if nothing did. With that, I came to appreciate the ingenuity with
which we hide from our true selves.

I've read that all understanding begins with a question. Why did I move from
that state of purposelessness to one of
purposeful activity? Well, running is good for you, right? And doesn't the word
"purposelessness" suggest a state of
mind one is better off without? One might think so. Yet there is a purpose to
purposelessness that may be necessary to a
level of health beyond the physical.

I have spent much of my life professing contempt for the busy bees of the world
who anguish over time wasted, the
obsessive self-improvers. Smug I was, happy not being one of them. Suddenly, I
was uncertain.

There is an archaic idea hardly ever discussed these days. The Romans had a
word for it: otium, defined in the Oxford
English Dictionary as "the aristocratic mode of leisure. Thinking," or "dignified
leisure," "the otium of literary
pursuits."

Over the centuries otium failed to defend its integrity and positive
coloration. What remains are derivatives: otient,
meaning "indolent," or otiose, "unattended by action ... having no productive
result; unfruitful, nugatory, futile."
Time has warped the idea inherent in the Latin word, that of contemplative and
regenerative inactivity, into something
close to its opposite.

What little I understand of this I took from a book encountered 30 years ago,
though the word otium is not in it. It was
one of my "pillow books:" It helped me understand what makes people happy; it
convinced me that too many of us are
consumed with practical matters, trapped by notions of relevance, handcuffed by
lists, shot full of guilt for failing to
live up to our own aspirations.

The book's title is, "The Decline of Pleasure," by Walter Kerr, a former drama
critic on The New York Herald Tribune.
Mr. Kerr sought to explain the cause of what he perceived as a malaise that
lurks behind the optimism of American life.
Americans, he wrote, are inept at cultivating pleasure: We have mortified
ourselves by excluding it from our lives; in a
sense, we are starving ourselves.

The cause of this condition was no mystery to Kerr. We are infected by an
intellectualism that stole across the sea from
England in the 19th century, a seed sprung from the minds of Jeremy Bentham,
William Stanley Jevons, and their
followers, apostles of utilitarianism.

This doctrine, Kerr wrote, constrains the human spirit everywhere it obtains.
He paraphrases its uncompromising
dictates: "Only useful activity is valuable, meaningful, moral.... Activity
that is not clearly, concretely useful to
oneself or to others is worthless, meaningless, immoral."

Literature, philosophy, and art were dismissed by the strict utilitarians. Why?
Because one cannot draw a measurable
profit from them. They are immoral because time spent indulging them is wasted,
and wasting time is immoral.

"The loss of the habit of 'unprofitable' pleasure was gradual during the latter half
of the 19th century," Kerr wrote,
"causing some men a vague unease, in some artists a blind and flailing
rebellion...."

If you ever wonder where the impulse comes from for inaccessible art - "Three Bricks
in a Row," say - this explains it.

Rejection cuts both ways: The people reject art; artists reject the people. The
philosophy of the utilitarians has
shaped the thinking of the United States for more than a century now, and still
holds us in its grip, though not nearly
so tightly as it once did.

The stern, righteous thinking it encouraged, the "identification of the worthwhile
with the practically profitable,"
utterly denigrated the value of leisure. Weekends were for washing the car, not
reading in a hammock. Guilt pursued us
to every corner of life.

"By the time the 20th century had begun to realize that its productive
machinery might also produce leisure, its
conscience had been formed in a manner calculated to make leisure meaningless."
We had spawned the workaholic. Which
goes back to my realization on the beach, that I was doing precisely what Kerr
had discouraged.

I had abandoned a state of mind some people strive for. I had abandoned my
proximity to Nirvana, and for what? To punish
myself almost like a flagellant? To live a little longer? To look better on the
beach? (Hah!)

It was more than uncomfortable to learn I was not who I thought I was.