This is interesting Mez. On reading the article I was led to kozyndan's site
(the illustrations):
http://www.kozyndan.com/illustrations.html one of which was this one:
http://www.kozyndan.com/assets/May2004_illus/huihui.jpg with this caption:

Another illustration for Giant Robot magazine. This one is pretty silly and
funky - i am not sure what
the heck we smoking that week... Anyway - the illustration is for an article
about Tawainese
sci-fi novelist S.K. Chang.

I looked up SK Chang but had a little trouble finding much.
found this:
S.K. Chang was responsbile for bringing science fiction to China.
He started in the 50's translating the works of authors like P.K. Dick and
Asimov, and later began creating his own works. The City Trilogy
is considered his masterpiece.

then finally I found this short story, which is resonant of Rapanui
in a way. I liked it.
http://jupiter.ksi.edu/~mirage/fiction/statue.html
Thanks for sending this out.

here are some other SK Chang links:
http://jupiter.ksi.edu/~mirage/fiction/returning.html
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=62-0231128525-0
hadn't really ever read or read about any Taiwanese sci-fi.

thanks,
lanny