Getting Physical with Romanticism

Romantic studies have always been a weathervane for contemporary
issues in cultural theory, partly because all the roads to modernity
seem to lead back to the Romantic period, and partly because
Romanticism has always seemed to be something more than a period of
cultural history in its tendency to elicit passionate commitments and
continued debates about its nature and importance. To "be" a
Romanticist, to profess Romantic literature or culture, has always
seemed to entail something more than "being" a scholar of the
eighteenth century, or even being a professional literary historian
more generally.

The conversation in cultural studies has turned, in recent years,
toward material culture, objecthood, and physical things. It is not
surprising, then, that these issues have percolated down to the early
nineteenth century, and that the relationship of "Romanticism and the
Physical" is now on the agenda. In the old days, of course, it would
have been "Romanticism and the Spiritual" (or the mental, the
psychological, the ideal, the immaterial, the metaphysical). We would
have been quoting Blake's "Mental Things are alone real" and
Wordsworth's vaporous raptures over the mind and the spirit. But if
all roads lead to Romanticism, they inevitably bring along with them
the baggage of our present concerns- -post-coloniality, gender, race,
technology, and now "the physical."

What exactly is "the physical"? Is it the physical body? or the
physical, material world more generally, the object of the physical
sciences, especially physics (and not biology)? Is it the domain of
nature, the nonhuman realm of what Wordsworth called "rocks and stones
and trees," and all the rest-the earth, the oceans, the atmosphere,
the planets and stars in their courses? And what is the rhetorical or
theoretical force of invoking "the physical" as a thematic within
Romanticism? Is this a signal of a new materialism, another
overturning of Hegel and idealism? Is it a reflex of the fashion
for "bodily matters" in contemporary criticism, and if so, is this a
natural body or a cultural body? A virtual techno-body, a gendered,
racialized, erotic body, or a body without organs? Where does the
invocation of the physical locate us in the endless debate of nature
and culture, the natural and human sciences? Is it a replaying of the
old Romantic division between the physical, understood as the organic,
living substance, and the material, understood as the inert, dead, or
mechanical?

The great temptation for Romanticists is to think that our gesture
of "getting physical with Romanticism" is an accomplishment in itself.
We are in danger of supposing that somehow the turn to the physical is
a tough-minded and realistic gesture, a politically progressive act of
getting down to the concrete, hard facts, the obdurate stuff of things
in themselves, an escape from old fashioned "Romantic idealism." and
of course the more closely we look a both Romanticism and at the
physical world, the more difficult it becomes to sustain any such
illusion. The physical is a thoroughly metaphysical concept; the
concrete is (as Hegel points out) the most abstract concept we have;
bodies are spiritual entities, constructions of fantasy; objects only
make sense in relation to thinking, speaking subjects; things are
evanescent, multistable appearances; and matter, as we have known
since the ancient materialists, is a "lyric substance" more akin to
comets, meteors, and electrical storms than to some hard, uniform
mass.*

*see Daniel Tiffany's _Toy Medium_ for a brilliantly detailed
exploration of "poetic substances" and iconologies of matter.