From: "Sheila Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <WRYTING-L@LISTSERV.UTORONTO.CA>
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2005 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: River Wax

Most intriguing! I have to plead clueless on the
origin.
Thanks!

--- phanero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

as demigods with tats that lack great art

hmm, do you know the origin of the word 'totem'
It might interest you to know that in 1790 a man
named John Long came to London with an initiatory
tattoo of the Ojibwe.. The man had lived with the
Ojibwe
and had killed Americans with them in the
revolutionary
skirmishes. He called his beaver tattoo
a 'totem'.. which essentially means in Ojibwe
'a member of my family' or something like that..
the word has essentially had a life of its own ever
since..

i'm sure the image was rude, but it was probably the
first beaver most english had ever seen..

now how we get from an Ojibwe beaver totem tattoo
word-meme
to "beaver shots" at "U-Totem" is anybody's guess..

How did we get that version of Beaver?
Do you know?

lq