I agree with you re: legislation. The problem is the other side of things - people look to Wikipedia and there are groups of people deliberately putting up falsehoods. If someone says I'm a child abuser and I deny it - it would for example only look bad for me ('of course he denies it' etc.). There's no answer. I generally look elsewhere for information although very occasionally I'll consult WP; I'm not that interested in opinion in something that passes at least for occasional fact. In the case below, the damage was done of course.

Any 'corrections and egregrious errors' page - simply wouldn't be consulted. Not only that, but if you google a subject, it takes you to the Wikipedia subject itself, not the portal page.

- Alan