[Arggh, I feel the hostility meter starting to flutter into the red… If that’s the case, I’m outta here.]

Don’t know why such a list of commands wouldn’t cut it to bring some sense of life to a piece. Composers use such notations all the time to indicate precisely what they need from performers, and Talan M’s work is a composition, not a performance, however much he may intend it to sound “performed.” And there’s no reason these controls couldn’t be implemented live in real time with foot pedals or something, so there’s plenty of room for overlap between composition and performance.

I don’t believe improvisation can ever be totally in the “moment.” Improvisors are always recycling and borrowing from buried experience and spinning motifs, etc. The idea of the mind as blank slate creating order out of nothingness just doesn’t “cut it” for me.