This is great, almost completely off balance, but there's the edge of
reason, like the headless monster crowned with what appears to be a
sponge... - Alan

yes, the sponge idea had occurred to me,
but it also looks like a calcareous brain coral
or bony brain plate

but not sure how you get "off-balance"

the actaeon figure is equisitely poised in the image
and not at all in torment, but there is the element
of the image being taken from a toy.. this is personally appropo
for me as i'm reading Daniel Tiffany's _Toy Medium_

the image actually has alot of associations i've 'toyed' with
 some of them related to Bataille's Acephale of course
and there's the Jain headless cosmos images you can find
in some books on Jainist iconology.. there's also the coincidence
that in my recent poem _Qints, Puarts, p, q, Qleases, Thanp_ I used