which is odd because also in the text is the mention of
Grasset D'Orcet's "language of the birds"...
which reminded me immediately of a book i love, The Speech of the Birds
(see below) & if you look down into the names, you'll see Mansur al-Hallaj
who as all fans of Hakim Bey know is the heretic who was burned
for the heresy  "I am the Truth" (Ana l'haq).. It makes me wonder if there
couldnt
be a kind of unknown shadow sufism, an eblisian counter sufism of which the
current fundamentalism is but a shell. Its quite silly to concieve of such a
thing,
but when you look at the structure of "I am the truth," or "I am God." you can
see
the echoes of the angelic "fall" which also echoes "The Angelic Society" in a
fallen
sense. And how Jihadi suicide is seemingly pretty mystical from the inside,
although
there are probably Sunni radical communists who have no real belief in the
afterlife. If its possible
to think of, its probably true! Its quite ridiculous, of course, but one
wonders about weird calligraphy of human
social coding, how it bulges in these diastolics.. Today I've been studying the
Kerenyi's
brilliant analysis of the origin of comedy as a kind of diastolic bulge, a
primitive
form of dialecticalism, or perhaps an unconscious dialectic, which brings up
the whole
notion of deep structure i guess, and "organic dialectic".. comedy's
formlessness being older
than tragedy but its formalization arising from a diastolic with tragedy..
anyhoo
frontline had a pretty good Al Queda show on tonight.. I watched that, and I
got this
odd sensation when they had this tape which was telling the al queda listener,
"My voice is
entering your body.." How viral can you get? And then there was this member of
a traditional
sunni group who was talking about how many of these people were being
radicalized (read virulized) in
Europe instead of in the middle east
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/front/view/
which made me think of a kind of  ressentiment. Nietzsche's genealogy of
ressentiment as
the moral perversion resulting from the ancient Roman/Palestinian cultural
conflict and giving
birth to the ascetic ideal  affect/ or maybe some variant. And at one point one
of the virulent
anti-westerner muslims specifically called the west "Rome".. the whole thing
was really evocative.
But you know, its frontline, so what are you really getting, but well.. it made
me think a few
new things i suppose.. oddly, the piece alsmost makes you think these people
are being radicalized
because of cultural alienation, they called it homesickness in the show.. so
they go to a mosque and get infected
with radical islam..but they don't really address the engine of radicalized
islam, they never do of course.
i mean they put it almost like that, which sort of made me think, THEY are
trying
to portray this as a simplified virus vector, as a reductionism in the service
of, as against what i concieve of as a
memic complexity involving historical agency, at any rate, some weird
spiralling fractals came out of that..
its a pretty decent blip.. the whole show is online too..

The Speech of the Birds
Mantiqu't-Tair
Presented and translated by: PETER AVERY
Mantiqu't-Tair is one of the masterpieces of Persian literature of which a
complete and annotated translation into
English is here presented for the first time as The Speech of the Birds. The
text revolves around the decision of the
birds of the world to seek out a king. Their debilitating doubts and fears, the
knowing counsel of their leader Hoopoe,
and their choice of the Simurgh as a king, is in reality an allegory of the
spiritual path of Sufism with its demands,
its hazards and its infinite rewards. The poem contains many admonitory
anecdotes and exemplary stories, including
numerous references to some of the early Muslim mystics such as Rabi'a
al-'Adawiyya, Abu Sa'id ibn Abi'l-Khair, Mansur
al-Hallaj and Shibli, among others. In The Speech of the Birds, Peter Avery has
not only given us a precise and moving
translation, but also ample annotation providing much information to fill in
what Attar would have expected his readers
to know. The result is a fascinating insight into a remarkable aspect of Islam:
the world of ecstatic love of the
Persian mystics. The Speech of the Birds will be of interest to everyone who
values great literature, as well as to all
students of Persian and Sufism.

Brought up in a Sufi ambiance, the author of this work, Faridu'd-Din Attar
(1145-1221), was an apothecary who lived near
Nishapur. Attar, whom legend describes as having taken to the Sufi path in
earnest after he witnessed a dervish
surrender his soul outside his shop, went on to become one of the most famous
Sufi poets in history, best known for his
classical work the Mantiqu't-Tair.