I reviewed Twisty Little Passages. I found it
interesting and informative. The author has not shown
up at my front door to punch my nose yet so I guess
I’m just not and will never be in the same class as
the late, great John Simon. Even his good reviews read
as if the lucky recipient were being praised as one of
the less fragrant of the cadavers in the morgue of
contemporary culture.

Until Simon’s death, there was a clause in every
contract Liza Minnelli signed agreeing to appear live
onstage anywhere explicitly stating that John Simon
was not to be seated. It held up in court. The moral
of the story is, I think, clear; never describe any
popular actress in a public review as having the same
large, expressionless brown eyes as one would expect
to see staring blankly forth from the face of a
recently deceased beagle even if it’s the plain truth.

This kind of thing just makes one unpopular in direct
proportion to the popularity of the actress. Many
waitresses are frustrated actress wannabes and they
all know the Visin trick. Even a true werewolf would
like to drink his Pena Colada in peace at the end of a
long day of chewing people up without worrying about
this sort of thing.  Read it all but only review the
things you like. It’s safer that way. No one ever
killed a friendly turnip for not being deep enough.
Few suspect a turnip of being as sinister as a German
observation balloon that observes underground.

--- Alan Sondheim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think so; I asked for a review copy. I've read
> texts like Twisty Little
> Passages which I really love.
>
> - Alan
>

> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006, marc wrote:
>
> > thanks Alan, this looks pretty interesting stuff
> :-)
> >
> > marc
> >

> >> Traces the transformation of storytelling in the
> digital age.
> >>
> >> AVATARS OF STORY
> >> Marie-Laure Ryan
> >> University of Minnesota Press | 296 pages | 2006
> >> ISBN 0-8166-4685-6 | hardcover | $60.00
> >> ISBN 0-8166-4685-6 | paperback | $20.00
> >> Electronic Mediations Series, volume 17
> >>
> >> Marie-Laure Ryan moves beyond literary works to
> examine other media,
> >> especially electronic narrative forms, revealing
> how story, a form of
> >> meaning that transcends cultures and media,
> achieves diversity by
> >> presenting
> >> itself under multiple avatars. Ryan considers
> texts such as the reality
> >> television show Survivor, the film The Truman
> Show, and software-driven
> >> hypertext fiction, and anticipates the time when
> media will provide new
> >> ways
> >> to experience stories.
> >>
> >> For more information, including the table of
> contents, visit the book�s
> >> webpage:
> >>
> http://www.upress.umn.edu/Books/R/ryan_avatars.html
> >>
> >> For more information on the Electronic Mediations
> Series:
> >>
> http://www.upress.umn.edu/byseries/electronic.html
> >

> > --
> > Furtherfield - http://www.furtherfield.org
> > HTTP - http://www.http.uk.net
> > Node.London - http://www.nodel.org
> >

> blog at http://nikuko.blogspot.com - for URLs, DVDs,
> CDs, books/etc. see
> http://www.asondheim.org/advert.txt - contact
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], -
> general directory of work: http://www.asondheim.org
> Trace at: http://tracearchive.ntu.ac.uk - search
> "Alan Sondheim"

“In so far as literature turns back on itself and examines parodies or treats
ironically its own signifying procedures, it becomes the most complex account
of signification we possess.” – John Deely