I think you saw the movie more or less correctly. The activity is based on what colors are in the image, and a lot of the most dramatic color activity happens to take place within the first few seconds in this particular image. The 80% you mention of nonactivity is actually not empty, but what is there is extremely subtle and might not be seen very well unless you take the movie and stretch it to the maximum size you can.

I tried making the size of the image smaller in various ways, but it wouldn't make the size of the file smaller for some strange reason. You would think..., but no.

thanks,

On Aug 20, 2006, at 5:28 PM, Martha Deed wrote:

This is an interesting concept for a video. I wasn't put off by the size of the download, because I assumed that each frame would have many data points,
and that causes compression problems.

Re size of file, if you can bear to make the size of the image smaller, you can probably reduce the file size significantly. But, for me, the larger problem was that after the first 20% of the video, I could see nothing. I
am using Firefox Mozilla -- Did you test on that?  I realize that with
Quicktime, it shouldn't make a difference which browser you use. . .

And I still think you have a good idea.

Martha
----- Original Message -----
From: "mwp" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <WRYTING-L@LISTSERV.WVU.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2006 6:27 PM
Subject: Landscape Movie 01

Landscape Movie 01
2006

Here’s a movie I finished today which represents an attempt to think
about how one might animate a still image in some fashion, in this case
one of Monet’s famous paintings of water lilies circa 1920. It
basically treats the spectrum of colors in the digitalized painting as
a 3rd dimension along which the head of an imaginary scanner moves from
red to yellow to green to blue etc. at a fixed rate.

Sorry about the size, but I couldn’t find any compression method that
was acceptable for this. Indeed, some of the compression methods
actually made the file significantly LARGER. Ideally, in the right
setting, the movie should resemble a semi-abstract galaxy of colors
swirling about.

http://mwp.jaycloidt.com/MPMOV2006/LHD2.mov
26.7MB. Quicktime format, silent.

mwp