I'd like to share this with you, Sheila, in regard to your title and poem. I
should perhaps say I'm still digesting what I'm sending.............. (sorry
for the suddenly large font)

  it may be useful to reflect that there is a sense in which the poem (in the
broad sense of the term) is utopian and idealistic whether its author was fully
aware of this or not. Paul Ricoeur glosses this dimension of texts in speaking
of the characteristics of narrative semiotics in the second chapter of Time and
Narrative, “Semiotic Constraints on Narrativity,” (page 30). There, Ricoeur
observes that any given language can always “separate the code from the
message, or … isolate langue from parole,” the former element, code or langue,
being “what is systematic.” It follows, Ricoeur goes on, that if langue is
systematic then

  its synchronic … aspect can be isolated from its diachronic or successive and
historical aspect. As for its systematic organization, it can in turn be
mastered if it is possible to reduce it to a finite number of basic
differential units, the system’s signs, and to establish the set of combinatory
rules that give rise to all its internal relations. Under these conditions, a
structure may be defined as a closed set of internal relations between a finite
number of units. The immanence of these relations—that is, the system’s
indifference to any extralinguistic reality—is an important corollary of this
closure rule that characterizes a structure. (my italics)

  Best regards, Bill

Sheila Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    my silence is a clue
  I follow around as if
  to listen to the moments
  not be said