ASK STATE AGENCY TO MAKE MANATEE MANAGEMENT PLAN STRONGER

Urge Revision of Imperiled Species Listing/Delisting Rule

Hi Alan,

When the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWCC)
adopted new imperiled species listing/delisting criteria, they
incorporated the international criteria for "endangered," but they
elected to call those species that met the endangered criteria
"threatened" instead of "endangered." As a result, the FWCC voted
to downlist manatees to "threatened" status. We are highly critical
of this move, as are a host of other environmental organizations
and eminent scientists.

Now, the FWCC has drafted a Manatee Management Plan (Plan),
which is the final step in the species' reclassification from
"endangered" to "threatened." However, the current Plan will
not ensure adequate protection for manatees and, together with
the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service's recent recommendation to also
downlist manatees at the federal level, the Plan will greatly
hamper our chance of securing the manatee's future in the face
of increasing human-related threats.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has recommended downlisting
the manatee due to political pressure. An April editorial in The
Bradenton Herald said, "The declassification is not being made
because the manatee has made a 'landmark' recovery, as the
USFWS' field supervisor asserted. Rather, it is a concession to
the boat, dock-building and development interests that have
lobbied for relaxing manatee protection rules for years. In the
anti-environment posture of the Bush administration facing
term limits, it has finally found a friendly reception."

The two greatest threats to the manatee's long-term survival are:

-A growing number of boats on Florida's already
dangerous waters

-The probable future loss of both natural and
artificial warm water habitat.

Ironically, because of these threats, both the state and federal
governments are projecting substantial to catastrophic decline
in the manatee population unless strong new protections are implemented.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:
1. Act Now! Click on the link below to send a quick and easy online
letter to FWCC Executive Director Ken Haddad and Florida Governor
Charlie Crist, asking them to revise Florida's imperiled species
listing/delisting rule and to retain the manatee's current
"endangered" status. In addition, the letter asks them to make
the Manatee Management Plan much stronger.

http://www.savethemanatee.org/actionalert.cfm?id=15

2.The formal comment period for the Management Plan is from
May 7 - June 14. Please send the letter immediately and ask your
family and friends to do the same.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP ON THIS IMPORTANT ISSUE FOR
MANATEES!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are subscribed to Save the Manatee Club's Action Alert List as [EMAIL
PROTECTED]

If you want to change your email address, please email us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sign Up for our free Paddle Tales E-Newsletter!
Go to http://www.savethemanatee.org/enews_signup.htm

Our postal address is
500 N. Maitland Ave.
Maitland, Florida 32751
United States

ABOUT SMC
Save the Manatee Club is a nonprofit organization founded in 1981
by former Florida Governor and U.S. Senator Bob Graham and
singer Jimmy Buffett. To learn more about manatees and our work,
go to http://www.savethemanatee.org

JOIN US!
Adopt-A-Manatee and join Save the Manatee Club. Your
contribution will support our work to help protect endangered
manatees and their habitat. For more information, go to
http://www.savethemanatee.org/adoptpag.htm

PASS IT ALONG
Help spread the word about manatees! Please forward this
message to your family and friends. If you got this message
from a friend, sign up to receive our Action Alerts at our
Take Action page at http://www.savethemanatee.org/action.htm

QUESTIONS?
You can get updates on Action Alert issues by visiting the
Take Action page of our web site. If you have additional questions,
please email us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]