Could you please announce this professional development opportunity to your
members?

NEH Summer Institute for Teachers:  Voices Across Time: Teaching American
History Through Song

Songs are like time capsules, filled with messages from a moment in history.
They're also fun to sing, making them an appealing and effective tool for the
classroom.   The Center for American Music at the University of Pittsburgh
(www.pitt.edu/~amerimus), in partnership with the Society for American Music
(www.american-music.org), is pleased to be offering a five-week summer
institute for K-12 teachers.  "Voices Across Time: Teaching American History
Through Song" will be held from June 24 to July 26, 2013 at the University of
Pittsburgh.  This Institute, funded by the National Endowment for the
Humanities (NEH), will allow 25 secondary school teachers and three graduate
students in education, to explore topics in American history through the lens
of music.  A few of the comments from teachers who have attended previous
Voices Across Time institutes:

"I don't think there is a day that goes by when I don't think of the five weeks
[when] we shared a wonderful experience at the University of Pittsburgh. I know
that working with all of you has made me a better teacher."

"Voices Across Time demonstrated the appeal and power of interdisciplinary
learning. The extensive curriculum developed by the Center for American Music
is easily implemented at any level, with rich bibliographies to encourage
further research.

"It was a wonderful experience."

Each week during the Institute we will focus on a broad topic in American
history, utilizing popular songs as primary source documents. Lectures and
discussions led by historians and musicologists will help participants
strengthen their knowledge of particular historical topics and develop insights
into the dynamic interaction of popular music and society.  Carefully selected
field trips (including the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland)
along with historical live performances (by Alan Jabbour and David and Ginger
Hildebrand) will offer uniquely engaging evocations of an historical context.

Accepted participants will receive a $3900 stipend to cover travel and housing.

We encourage participation especially from middle- and high-school teachers of
social studies or related disciplines, including history, geography, and
language arts; other grade levels and disciplines will also be considered, and
music teachers are welcome. Additional information, along with application
materials, is available at
http://www.library.pitt.edu/voicesacrosstime/index.html or email:
ameri...@pitt.edu (please indicate NEH Institute in the subject line).  More
information about the NEH and its programs is available at www.neh.gov.