Hi Russ,

I would totally agree with that statement in regards to the "success" of a website (unless it's a governement website - where as a contractor you have to comply to thier standards - which are generally pretty good web standards).

It's also important to know what the definition of "success" is - I'm assuming it means a website that has lots of users or performs a function ala google.

I think the major advantage of Standards and specifically using semantic markup correctly in conjunction with stylesheets is the amount of time you save as a developer. I'm sure anyone on the list who has successfully implemented a few CSS sites will agree.

Regards,
Mark

PS if this makes no sense it's because it's too early in the morning here.
russ weakley wrote:

http://www.7nights.com/asterisk/archives/more_important_than_web_standards.p
hp#511

D. Keith Robinson writes at his weblog:
"In my opinion, at this point in time and for the foreseeable future, Web
standards, in and of themselves, have very little to do with the success, or
lack thereof, of a Web site. "

Yeah sure, but as web developers it's still our role to be moving towards
web standards.

What do you think?
Russ