From: Jonathan Baldwin [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 11:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [WSG] Fixed Width Design

I agree. I've long advocated easy to remember URLs because, although
most of "us" do as Gary says and get URLs directly from email, I've
observed that a *lot* of users don't know that they can copy URLs from
the browser so type them out when passing them on, or do it verbally,
so it is important to have easy to remember URLs and to ensure that
content is easily accessible from the top of the site. An easy to type
URL is more likely to be passed on by people e.g. saying something
like: " I saw a great article at zeldman dot com, just go to the
'articles' section and look for 'standards'"  is, in my experience, how
most people pass on URLs...

On a related note, when will people stop saying "dot" and "slash"?
Can't we move forward and instead of announcers after TV programmes
saying wwwDOTbbcDOTcoDOTukDORWARDSLASHeastenders just www (very short
pause) bbc (very short pause)co(very short pause)uk slash eastenders,
using the punctuation like puncttuation. Wouldn't that work if it were
adopted as a convention? It's make URLs easy to remember.(in fact we
could drop the "www" like we dropped the "httpcolonslashslash"

See Malcom Gladwell's "Tipping Point" for an excellent discussion of
"The Stickiness Factor" - there are lessons throughout the whole book
for designers and web site creators.