You can also add

<link rel="[shortcut ]icon" type="image/png" href="/path/to/icon.png" />

Although this will not work on IE. Shortcut icons work very variably in IE anyway and even then only when you bookmark a page (sometimes). I've rarely got them showing up when I used IE in the ol' days.. I use PNG's as they are easier to make in Fireworks and work 100% of the time in everything else.

Cheers
James

Chris Blown wrote:

You can put the favicon.ico file in the webroot. This works without the
need for any markup.

However this doesn't work for IE. Works fine other browsers. IE is also
picky about the file format.

Cheers
Chris Blown http://hinterlands.com.au