Peter Gifford's beautiful work makes me wonder if I should call myself a designer at all.

I should point out that Hugh and I know each other and are friends - but shucks, thanks mate! ;)

In the same way, the fact that everyone on this list either can, or is learning to, make web pages using CSS does not make them graphic designers.

Probably not good to start a thread as it's OT, but as you know I agree with you 100% and it's also an old saw of mine. When things get too far into programming land I turn to expert programmers, but I am surprised at how many people ignore the need for a professional graphic designer, or promote themselves as 'web designers' when they are not offering clients the whole box and dice. As you say, it's not just about 'making things look pretty', it's about *communicating* visually. In our quest for that little validation stamp we shouldn't overlook the vital importance of basic design principles that existing *long* before the advent of the web - colour, positive and negative space, typography, balance, contrast, shapes, textures ... It's a life-long educational process to use these elements well - there's so much to learn and learn from!

Anyway, sorry if this is OT.
Cheers - Peter
<x-tad-bigger>
</x-tad-bigger>