In my opinion in order to do css and html professionally you have to "get into the code"
But many people use DW (or contribute) who do not code html etc professionally (eg. content managers, IAs, GDs, java developers), and this is where the design view comes in very handy.
Luckily if you get shown how to use it properly a very high standard of code is possible from the design mode of dreamweaver.

Not the level of control that I might desire, but enough for many applications of the tool and many users. Plus there are still the validation tools available in DW for cleanup

Jeremy Flint wrote:

I assume that everyone mentioning how great DW is for them is using it mainly in the coder (homesite) version.

how many are successfully using the WYSIWYG on a consistent basis and doing standards compliant work?

Sooner or later, you have to get into the code.