From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Justin French
Sent: Thursday, 1 April 2004 3:56 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [WSG] *sigh* drop-downs

Hi all,

I'm quoting for a client at the moment who seems to have her heart set
on dropdown menus for the sites navigation.  I've implemented such
menus before, and am currently using a version of the Suckerfish menus
[1], which is fine for a one-deep hierarchy, but it looks like she
wants 3-4 levels of depth in the menus, which is going to:

- significantly increase development time and testing time
- decrease browser compatibility & accessibility

I would also speculate that menus with such deep hierarchy would
confuse and distract users.

But we all know how difficult it is to convince a client that they're
wrong, especially when they see huge hierarchical menus on other
corporate sites.  So instead, I'd like to read up (and point her to)
any studies conducted in terms of their usability in context of website
navigation, perhaps even compared to other forms of navigation.

I have no doubt that such menus ARE usable (we use them every day in
Windows, Mac OS, etc), but as pointed out recently on this list (or
another?), the menus in our OS are not *navigational* -- they're
*functional*.

I'm confident I can provide simple, smart navigation without them, but
first I need to find some solid proof that they're a bad idea :)

---
Justin French
http://indent.com.au