It is hard to tell without seeing what you are trying to achieve. From a
purists perspective, you should try and apply the clear to the item below,
rather than create a meaningless div.

One way around your problem MAY be to add a rule like:
{
clear: both;
font-size: 1px;
}

This will remove carriage returns in IE6. But, again, this is hard to tell
without seeing where it is used.
Russ

> I hate to ask a dumb question, but I can't find any information about
> this altough I'm pretty sure I've read about this someplace.
>
> What I'm trying to do is use

> .cl {
> clear:both;
> }
>
> But the sticky part is that I don't want it to add the extra line
> space.  I'm not sure of the best way to do this.  I believe I need to
> have something inside of the div tags (?) and I've tried messing with
> visibility:hidden but that threw some more unexpected glitches at me
> (well, I was getting two separate lines instead of both on the same
> line).
>
> Anybody have a good method for doing this?
>
> Thanks...v

> The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/
> See http://webstandardsgroup.org/mail/guidelines.cfm
> for some hints on posting to the list & getting help

Thanks
Russ

Russ Weakley
Max Design