Chris,

I can't help directly, but just in case you haven't tried this yet ...

You can alter the styles for the current page throughout your site by assigning each page <body> and each <li> in your navigation list a unique id, then setting up some descendant selector rules, eg.

CSS:
        body#home a#homeTab,
        body#contact a#contactTab { ... }

As a side benefit, you can then include the navigation div into each page with php and keep your code in the one place, rather than having several similar but slightly different versions throughout your site.

I can't play around with the browser that's giving you problems because I'm on a different platform, but if buggy behaviour is involved it might help to try a different approach.

Cheers,
Mike