Hi Luc,

It's my understanding that if you want the page to validate and pass
some basic 508 stuff, ALT tags must be present for any images that are
included in the page markup.

I have seen before (perhaps ALA?) that if the image is decorative a
simple "null" would surfice as an ALT tag.

I think this, like most things, involves a bit of preference and I don't
believe there is a definitive answer. Using a CSS image replacement
technique (and there are a few available) is always a valid option but
comes with it's own series of issues (what happens when images are
disabled? etc...)

So what to do? I (notice the preference) tend to use CSS background
images where I can unless the img serves a real purpose, then it's
included in the markup and ALT tagged appropriately.

Hope that helped,

Brian

Luc wrote:
Good evening list,

My  understanding  is  that an image _always_ needs a description for
accessibility  purposes,  even  if  the  image is there for decorative
purposes and adds no important information to the page.

Now,  somebody  told  me  that,  if  the  image  is  there  purely for
decorative  purposes and adds no important information to the page, it
doesn't  need  a description and putting it in CSS as background image
makes  sense.  However, if the image needs a description, it should be
in  the  html  because  it is content. If you do put it in the css and
give a title to the div, it is wrong use of css.

Is this correct and am i wrong?

In the (odd) case i'm right, is there some spec that states that an
image always needs a description?