Mordechai,

I think the XHTML/HTML issue has been canvassed by more knowledgeable members in the past on this list, with some advocating for the use of HTML 4.01 for reasons you may like to search in the archives. (Look particularly for posts by Peter Firminger.)

That said, you are probably more concerned to reassure the client about the effect on the display of the site, and in that regard there are no issues that should cause concern, unless it involves something like pop-up windows.

Your other concern is over the use of GoLive or another WYSIWYG editor. This is more difficult, because you will have set up your CSS so that it works cross-browser, and touching it in one place could affect the display of your work.

The question I would have in this situation is, does the client want to be involved in the site's design, or merely content maintenance?

* If in design, then the client is really going about things in a back-to-front way. The design should be finalised between you before you break it down into HTML/CSS. This is what you are paid to do, in the same way that an architect is paid to understand the client's needs and translate them into working plans.

* If in content maintenance only (and you are talking about a static site), I would recommend using Macromedia Contribute or the Adobe equivalent. You can set it up to allow the client to enter content, with access to particular styles (hn, p, ul/li, img etc) and not to others, and you can provide templates for them to use.

Hope this helps. -Hugh Todd

 A potential client asked me:

...will I be able to make modifications myself using a program such as Adobe Golive which creates html pages?

It's the second half of the question with which I'm having a problem since I have no experience with GoLive. While the thought of a WYSIWYG touching my code horrifies me, anyone know the answer?