From: Michael Kear [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2004 2:38 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [WSG] legal requirements for accessability

There's a saying in the sales business (/me thinking back all those years to
when I was a sales trainer):    Sell them what they want, and all the rest
comes along for free.

If the customer loves the car's hot stereo, sell them the hot stereo and the
rest of the car comes along for free.

IF the house buyer falls in love with the kitchen, let them have the
kitchen, and the rest of the house comes along for free.

IF they want an accessible site, sell them an accessible site, and the good
design and easy navigation comes along for free.

If they want a web presence, sell them a web presence, and the accessible
design, good layout, easy navigation comes along for free.

SO it's your job when you first meet a prospective client to find out what
it is they want.  And what they need.  (Not necessarily the same things)
Then you sell them that.   When you build it, you build it as well as it's
possible to do, given your cost and time parameters.  Just because the
client wanted this and that and something else, without mentioning standards
compliance, doesn't mean you cant build a site like that.   When you get a
house built, you tell the builder you want this room, that cupboard, this
kind of roof, that kind of bathroom,  but he still builds structural
strength, water proofing, adequate foundations etc in even if you didn't
specify it in your requirements.

And as to cost, I've found that building to standards has REDUCED my time
(and therefore my cost) to build a site.  By forcing discipline on my html
code, and completely separating content and presentation, it's made many
things more simple.   And since the ongoing maintenance of the site is FAR
easier, it's going to make the cost of ownership of a site over the whole
life much lower than it would otherwise have been.    It's my opinion that
if you are losing business because you are quoting on standards-compliant
sites, then you're doing it all wrong.   Standards compliance should give
you a competitive advantage over the other mugs who haven't learned about
standards yet.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia