I think part of this debate is because many developers have years of
experience and know all the tricks of getting tables laid out how they
want.

For someone new, like me, I'm as well to dive straight in and learn CSS
rather than worrying about "the old way".

I'd be interested in your views of my site for the PBM game I play:
http://www.gameplan.org.uk  (CSS at
http://www.gameplan.org.uk/styles/gplan.css)

As far as I can tell it looks fine in Mozilla / IE6 / Opera, the tables
in the middle column aren't displayed properly in IE5 and it seems to
work OK in Lynx, although the main content is a bit far down.

Thanks,

Alan