www.xstandard.com may be of help to you, its not A CMS, but a input area which generates valid XHTML and uses CSS for styling so It can be integrated into a CMS

--
Neerav Bhatt
http://www.bhatt.id.au
Web Development & IT consultancy

Ned Lukies wrote:

A problem that has popped up for me a number of times now is what to do when a client wants to be able to manage the content on the web site themselves. For years I resisted using a system that required javascript or any particular software, and it has worked well, where the content to be updated is something simple like a news article, or a listing of products as the content follows a set of rules. Unfortunately, this falls a part when the content they need to edit is complex and follows no particular rules.

Recently, I was reluctantly forced to incorporate the use of the Microsoft Rich Text Control which comes with IE on windows into a web site. There are a number of problems I have with this system:

1. It only works on IE/Win
2. Its quite slow
3. The HTML it produces is similar to a primitive version of front page and is no where near standards compliant. 4. I have noticed some strange bugs between point releases of IE6 (One surrounds each line of content by a <blockqoute> every time you save thte page.

What is the point of going to all the effort of making the web site standards compliant when the end user is just going to butcher the content inside it.

Teaching the end user more than basic html (<b>, <ul>,<h1> etc) can be difficult. Asking someone who is untrained to use Dreamweaver can lead to more standards compliance problems.

Has anyone come up with some solutions for helping the client maintain their own content while still retaining standards compliance?

Regards,

Ned Lukies