Horses for courses - you build what will attract your client's audience - if the client requires a site for a niche audience with it's own characteristics (as long as these are known not just assumed) then a lot of the usual cliches about not losing part of the potential audience MAY not apply. There must be some people out there who actually like sitting through flash animations - just like the movie companies must have done audience research that proves that most of us like sitting through endless clever animated sequences that eventually get you to the menu screen on a DVD.

When I started working on websites the woman who took me on said just remember that there are millions of idiots out there who will burn up their phone bill and sit for ages waiting to see a fake image of Gillian Anderson's privates slowly reveal itself on screen but they're unlikely to be still waiting on your ever-so-neat price list and order form for home delivered pizza to materialise.

As basic advice it's worked for me

Jeff