Miles Tillinger wrote:

Is there an accepted number format for ordered lists?  When using ordered lists in a
structured document, e.g. a Policy or Standards document, I'm using the following
numbering format:

So parts of the document can be referenced as 1.2 section a item i, which seems pretty
messy...  There probably isn't a standard as such, but if there is I can't find any
reference to it.

If you're going to reference the numbers they are content. Content needs to make sence even without styling. conclusion: Put the numbers in your html.

example:
<li id="item_1_2_a_i">i) title</li>

-- Kristof