Amidst all the hubhub about Standards and Validation, some people are arguing that they use XHTML served correctly as application/xhtml+xml to ensure that their documents validate. Their reasoning is: if I make a mistake in my code, browsers will fail to render the documents. This is partially true of course, xml parsing will fail if tags are mismatched (ex. forgetting a closing tag). But this will *not* guarantee that the document is valid xhtml 1.1. A basic test demonstrates this:
<http://dev.l-c-n.com/xhtml/blockquote.php>
(watch it in Firefox or Opera 7.5).

Longer explanation on my site
<http://emps.l-c-n.com/articles/40/invalid-xhtml>

I found that mistake by accident, while doing some testing on text input for a CMS. I was amused kind of thing :-)

Philippe

---/---
Philippe Wittenbergh
now live : <http://emps.l-c-n.com/>