>My theory: the auto height on #tree_menu_container expands the container to
fit the content.  Therefore the browser sees no need to add scrollbars.

OK - I'll play with that and see how I go

>Probably a combination of the 100% width + 1px border on the table (which
presumably will have tabular data).  Try removing the table width, changing
it to 99% and/or removing the table border.

The more I look at it, the more it seems to be the case. I'll have to think of a
better way to add that border, maybe on an element inside that container?

>Incidentally, the javascript locked up MSIE for over a minute (after initial
Ouch.

Yep - I found that out too - that stuff is to support transparent pngs in IE. I use
pngs in the tree menu - and in the background of the table cells. Looks like I'll have
to throw it. It's a javascript trick from youngpup.net to apply that nasty
transparency filter in IE.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

________________________________

>  Firefox will not display scroll bars when the tree expands beyond the
dimensions of it's containing div.

My theory: the auto height on #tree_menu_container expands the container to
fit the content.  Therefore the browser sees no need to add scrollbars.

> IE will play silly buggers with my main content area.

Probably a combination of the 100% width + 1px border on the table (which
presumably will have tabular data).  Try removing the table width, changing
it to 99% and/or removing the table border.

Incidentally, the javascript locked up MSIE for over a minute (after initial
Ouch.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design