G'day

As others have said, there's usually a way to avoid using hacks.  I try to
steer clear of them.

I do (these days) import style sheets to hide them from V4 browsers - a
beneficial side-effect of using a perfectly acceptable method of adding CSS
to an (x)html file. Using conditional statements to get MSIE to load another
css file is handy too.  To me neither of the two above are really hacks.  I
use these occasionally (mainly for MSIE's lack of support for
position:fixed) but that's about as far as I will go.

I won't use hacks that use backslashes, rules hidden in comments etc,
because they rely on bugs. What happens if the parsing bug that the hack
relies on is fixed but the rendering bug that made the hack necessary
remains?

Is it such a big deal if a site doesn't look 100% the same in a few
browsers?  The site in my sig may suffer from it - seems OK in Firefox,
Opera 7.5 and MSIE6, but might have some problems in MSIE5.x and certainly
will look different in MSIE/NN4.  No idea about Safari but I'm guessing it's
OK.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn,
Better Web Design

Scanned by  eScan  Anti-Virus  and  Content Security Software.
Visit http://www.mwti.net for more info on eScan and MailScan.