The voices are telling me Kevin Futter said on 9/29/2004 6:19 PM:

My understanding is that while IE Win supports the display of PNG files, it
doesn't support any of their transparency features. If you want to use
transparency for images in a cross-browser safe way, GIF is really your only
option. I wouldn't be holding my breath for IE to catch up either ...

Close. MSIE 6/Win supports GIF-style transparency (pallette mode, one color 100% transparent). What it doesn't support is variable or alpha-channel transparency.

I have a couple of examples and a few words about PNGs at <http://toolkit.crispen.org/formats/png.html>.
--
Rev. Bob "Bob" Crispen
bob at crispen dot org

Don't ask yourself what the world needs - ask yourself what makes you
come alive, and then go do it. Because what the world needs is people
who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

Proud presenters of Web Essentials 04 http://we04.com/
Web standards, accessibility, inspiration, knowledge
To be held in Sydney, September 30 and October 1, 2004