At 05:19 PM 10/4/2004, Parker Torrence wrote:
Yes you can
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/lists.html
section 10.2
see DEPRECATED EXAMPLE:

which is:
<UL>
     <LI> ... Level one, number one...
     <OL>
        <LI> ... Level two, number one...
        <LI> ... Level two, number two...
        <OL start="10">
           <LI> ... Level three, number one...
        </OL>
        <LI> ... Level two, number three...
     </OL>
     <LI> ... Level one, number two...
</UL>

Because this example is HTML, not XHTML, and the LI tags are not explicitly closed, I believe that the OLs in that example are embedded in fact in the LIs and not the UL/OL elements.

The same is true of the old-fashioned table markup.  If you saw this:

...would you say the paragraph was embedded in the TD, the TR, or the TABLE? It's in the TD, of course.

Paul

****************************************************** The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/