Richard Czeiger wrote:
Thanks Patrick. I guess with people telling you to put inline scripts as
"text/JavaScript" and CSS as "text/css" I just assumed that the meta would
take care of it....

A similar problem can be seen when CSS is erroneously sent as text/plain or text/html by some badly configured servers (or in cases where people use a server-side language to dynamically create CSS, and forget to set headers accordingly). Firefox will not display/understand CSS files unless they were sent as text/css

If, like most of my customers, theire sharing a server at some hosting
company, then it's unlikely that the host would do this to their servers...

Your host may allow you to set things via .htaccess files, or - if you're using a server-side language like PHP - you can send custom headers yourself. I use the method described roughly in the middle of http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/03/19/dive-into-xml.html

<?php
if ( stristr($_SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT"],"application/xhtml+xml") ) {
  header("Content-type: application/xhtml+xml");
}
else {
  header("Content-type: text/html");
}
?>

Make sure this is sent before any other content (unless you're using output buffering)

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com