> Have just discovered that the main page does not look good at a
> resolution of 1024x768.  I have been working in 800x600.

There are a number of things you could do.  One would be to confine
the viewable area to the 800 px size you like (well actually a little
less to allow for browser space itself)  You could enclose it all in a
div with your chosen defined width and then center it.  Then no matter
the resolution, you have your view site the way you want and the text
will appear longer too since it's in a confined space.

If you've been following the discussion on fluid vs fixed width
designs though, you know that there are some issues like how it
displays when text size is increased or decreased, etc.  In reality
you don't ever really have total control of how a site appears to a
specific user since they may have dif resolutions, browser with their
window not fully screen, and so forth.

This brings me to the issue of the background image.  If you're
controlling the display size,  then the background image will always
be shown at it's full size, unless someone views it with their window
smaller - again it's maximum you're controlling, not minimum, width.
Which is already an issue with your site.  Have you looked at it with
the window smaller?  Of course many designers say they just won't
consider anyone viewing smaller then 800, but others feel you need to
"degrade?" gracefully even smaller.

An alternative  is to make the page 100% in your css and then force
the footer to be at the bottom no  matter what the length of your
text.  There are a number of dif layouts  that can achieve this and
still  retain your design.  You just get a lot of empty space before
you come to the footer - which will look better then your current
issue.

Let me know what kind of solutions you're interested in and I'd be
happy to help.

--
Susan R. Grossman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]