> > I find the description of font-size a bit dodgy,
>
> I agree. Defining a font size in terms of a unit that is based on a
> font size seems pretty stupid to me too, but that's how it is. There
> are lots of stupidities around.

Well, in the print business, it's much more strict, which I prefer.
There are so much more units that I do not know of, but I try to keep
it clear in HTML too. That's hard with such inconsistencies.

> Here in the UK, we use words like "referrer" "colour" "centre" and
> so on. Seems that HTML is based on a foreign language.

I prefer UK English. Everything web is just crappy English :/

But on topic, em is relative and is the width of an M. There you have
it, but just don't mix it all up. There's a lot of confusion around
fonts. (To illustrate, Word uses pts that are bigger than the ones in
InDesign.)
--
Cheers,
Rob.