Use Andy King's article at http://www.websiteoptimization.com/speed/tweak/splash/ he definitely isnt old school

In the end however, they may ignore you. Thats their choice. As long as you've stated your objections in documentation they can't blame you later when the problems you predict appear

Neerav Bhatt
http://www.bhatt.id.au
Web Development & IT consultancy

http://www.bhatt.id.au/blog/ - Ramblings Thoughts
http://www.bhatt.id.au/photos/
http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/neerav

Matt wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am setting up a sports website for a client, where all of the
content is in Article format which rotates regularly - essentially a
news type site. I am determined to build the site in valid XHTML/CSS.

I am debating with their designers about 2 things:

1. They want to use a full page graphic Splash Screen, which displays
the brand in all its glory before the user can enter the site.
2. They want to use images in the Navigation bar to give tight control
over the fonts, instead of text.

I do not want to use a splash screen, because it will just get in the
way, and could turn viewers away. I do not want to use images in the
navigation, not only for usability / accessibility  / SEO reasons, but
because the site is dynamic and I want the Nav to be dynamically
driven.

I just wondered if any of you know of any websites which show solid
convincing arguments against these things, so that I can prove my
point. At this stage the accessibility argument isn't cutting it
(enough)!...

I can show them some stuff from Jacob Nielsen, but I found that they
essentially scoff at his comments claiming that he is too 'old
school'...

Also, if anyone can assist with my message from yesterday (Nov 30)
subject "Help with a layout" I'd be very grateful : )

Thanks in advance, Matt