I agree with your thinking Russ... web standards are a means to an end not the end itself. They represent a philosophy, framework or tool set.

So instead of talking about the business case for web standards, you (royal you) need to talk about the benefits of a design proposal as it applies to the goals of the customers you are talking with, and not neccessarily the way in which you are going to implement that design.

cheers
Terrence Wood.

On 2004-12-07 6:58 PM, russ - maxdesign wrote:

Yes, I think the web guidelines are good, and we look to incorporate them
largely as a matter of course. But, and I've been thinking of writing
something on this, I don't think they (or web standards in general) are a
huge selling point. I'd even go so far as to say I don't think there's a
huge business case for web standards. To me they're something you just do,
as they're the right thing.
--
"You know you've achieved perfection in design, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery