Been following the breadcrumb (BC) discussion, and think it may come down to defining the *purpose* of the BC. Through a process of distillation I've arrived at the following conclusions;

The ('correct') semantic markup of a BC should be based on what the BC primarily 'means'.

There is the distinction between BC as a presentation format (navigation in a line suggesting a progression from left-to-right) vs. BC-as-a-transcript (similar to the Back button) of the path the specific user followed to reach this page.

Finally there is the companion term 'topic path'; often presented as a breadcrumb, that show the current page in relation to an information hierarchy or structure (the taxonomy defense).

More thoughts:
http://www.motive.co.nz/glossary/breadcrumb.php

<aside>Suggestions regarding additional glossary terms we should add welcome</aside>.

--
Andy Kirkwood | Creative Director

MOTIVE | web.design.integrity
http://www.motive.co.nz/
ph: +64 4 3 800 800  fx: +64 4 970 9693
mob: 021 369 693
93 Rintoul St, Newtown
PO Box 7150, Wellington South, New Zealand