From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bert Doorn
Sent: Sunday, 26 December 2004 8:25 PM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] CSS alignment issues

G'day

>If you look at the homepage - http://www.e-oddie.com/ - I'm having problems
>laying the content out. I'm trying to centre the image on the page both
>horizontally and vertically. Then, within the panel, I'm trying to
>vertically centre the text. Unfortunately I'm not achieving either and am
>getting different results between IE6 and FF1.

vertical-align only applies to 'table-cell' elements and in some cases
inline elements.  Putting vertical-align on a div has no effect (or is
not supposed to)

You could trick Firefox and Opera 7.5 (and perhaps some Mac/Linux
browsers Like Safari, Konqueror etc) by setting the html and body
elements to 100% height, giving body a display:table and panelContainer
a display of table-cell and vertical-align:middle.  Doesn't have
vertical centering in MSIE but should still be usable otherwise.  I can
email you a sample file off-list if you like.

Just  a couple of other comments if I may:

1. Have you thought about using a definition list instead of an
unordered list with (seemingly misused) h1 and h2 elements?

2. I'd compress the background image.  Takes a long time to load on
dial-up.  183kB for a background image is a ~bit~ much.  30-40k would be
better and should be achievable without too much loss of quality.

Regards
--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
http://www.betterwebdesign.com.au/