Just a note.
I have always wanted to do this too.
Certain elements I just wish I could use my own tags.

Thanks for bringing it up!

<ot>
totally off topic, but I have found a great link:
http://speedy.akadns.info/streams/8000/sydneypolice.wax
Listen to the sydney police scanners - use Windows Media Player.
Streams :)
Its so interesting :)
</ot>

Kornel Lesinski wrote:

I'm thinking about creating my own doctype/DTD and adding some new tags.

- less to write
- validator can check these against dtd
- getElementsByTagName

I could start using XHTML2 <section> tag :)
This won't be block tag for current browers, but if it starts and ends with block elements, there will be no problem.

What do you think about the idea? useful/harmful?
Do you know any user-agents that won't accept such tags? or misbehave with custom dtd?
Maybe I should use namespace instead of creating pseudoHTML?

--
Chris Stratford