My apologies for posting this on-list, but I can't get through to Lori
via direct email. I got an "undeliverable mail" error...

----------

Hi Lori

If the gnerated logfiles are in "Extended W3C Format" then you're in
luck, there are many logfile parsers around. I've even written my own,
its not hard really

Of course, if you're looking for an already-decent parser, I recommend
"WeblogExpert" http://www.weblogexpert.com/

It reads all common formats, including default Apache, IIS,
W3C-Extended, and others

The logfiles are generally plain-text, you should be able to open them
in Notepad, VI, or whatever utility Apple provided for OS-X ;)

The advantage of logfiles over server-side or client-side processing is
that it incurs no overhead or relying on your clients to have JavaScript
enabled.

My host provides me with (slightly abridged... they omitted a few
constant fields, like "server IP address", as this is reported for every
request made to the server, and that obviously isn't going to change
(the IP address, that is), so it reduces file-size at the end of the
day. However, my host only retains the last 5 days in logs, after that
they get deleted... As a result, I have a simple VBS file for Windows
that automatically gets the logfiles every 4 days. Saves me a lot of
trouble that way :), I can give it to you if you want.

--
-David R

Lori Leach wrote:
David -- Thanks for that.

I am mailing offlist as I don't want my head bitten off for being off topic

I DO have the logs set up, and have access to the .log file.
So, how the heck to I read them?

Lori Leach
ZenfulCreations
http://www.zenfulcreations.com/