Iain Gardiner wrote:
They are only "semantically correct" when used within specific contexts.

Too many people confuse semantics (the implicit meaning of markup) with
valid html (correct code).  They are two completely different sides of the
same coin.  If it doesn't matter to you, then you're a member of the wrong
list.

Lets not start a flame war ;)

Tables are used to define data, data sets, results, and "columnar" information.

And fieldsets are used to group related input fields.

Consider that Tables are equally qualified to display information in "title/content" format, this is how databases store information, and from a glance, an Excel spreadsheet is no different from a database's dataview, or a table containing the same data.

Real-world(tm) forms, such as Tax Returns, are often layouted in a "tabular" manner... see for yourself, its tax-season in the states right now (AFAIK).

But at the same time, a <dl> could be used, as virtually all the questions on a tax return are in the "Question: Write/Choose your answer" format.

Don't accuse me of confusing semantics with valid code, I think I know the difference. It seems you're the one confusing me with a beginner in the field. I'm not an idealist, I'm a realist, and in the real world, it doesn't make a difference regarding semantics, accessibility, rendering/apperance or usability in general.

All are equally valid!

--
-David R