I don't think I agree - dropdowns can increase the usability quite a bit. Of
course you should not completely depend on them, but in general they can be
quite helpful to improve navigating a site. It really depends on the website
- in some cases they are helpful, in other cases just a waste of time.

> The ALA article Andreas mentioned is actually not that good, since it
> is still totally inaccessible to IE users with Javascript turned off.
> There are no good alternatives on the web (yet), so I don't know where
> to point you.

Well, the dropdowns won't show up if Javascript in IE is turned off. So if
navigating your website relies on the dropdowns to show up: yes, your
website is inaccessible. But if there are other ways of navigating the site,
it only means it may be less user-friendly if you have IE without
Javascript.